9.03.2010
Jack be limbo, Jack be quick, Jack go unda limbo stick
So, I'm moving. But I don't exactly when or exactly where. In about ten days Mike and I are flying up to Spokane to look at houses and hopefully put in an offer but until then I am in limbo. I walk around the house in circles. I walk outside and stand in my front yard, look around, and walk back inside. Being in limbo is no fun. But there is a cure - it's a boring one but it really works - stay busy. So to cure my limbo blues I've been drying peaches, making bread, and yesterday I make home dried tomatoes.
Last weekend we went up to Mike's parents in Boise and they have an amazing garden - they let me take as many tomatoes as I wanted - so I filled a big paper box full of beautifully ripe tomatoes. Brought them home and made me some home dried tomatoes. My mother in law also let me borrow her dehydrator.
I love love love sun-dried tomatoes but I had no idea how much better home dried tomatoes would be - they are AMAZING. They are slightly sweet because they were ripened on the vine, they're slightly salty, and they're bursting with savory tomato flavor. YUMMY!!!
It was a pretty simple process too. I dunked the tomatoes in boiling water for 60 seconds - then into a bath of cold water. Once they were cool enough to handle I took them out and their skins slid off easily. I then quartered the tomatoes and put them in the dehydrator - as easy as that. It took like 14-15 hours in the dehydrator for them to be ready so start early so you don't have to get up at 1 AM to check them like I did.
My favorite thing to do with dried tomatoes, beside just popping them in my mouth, is to make a sun-dried tomato pesto - I put this on sour dough bread with fresh mozzarella and a few basil leaves and then toast it - SO SO YUMMY!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
WHAT!?! I can't believe you're moving. We haven't even had the chance to hang out. I'm so disappointed. But, I guess happy for you too. Dang you!
Post a Comment