10.26.2010

The first day of the rest of our life...

An Idaho Barn - gotta love the hipstamatic.
After six weeks of speculation, tomorrow we will begin living rurally.   The bank has recieved word that everything has gone through and we are a go.

This is something that seriously Mike and I have been talking about for ten years.  We'd talk to each other about it as we fell asleep at night or when I was having a bad day Mike would let me lay my head on his lap as he described our future "farm".   The kids would draw pictures of it - we'd read books about it - it was often a subject of our prayers.  I have yearned for it - ached deep down in my gut to have it.  And now we are getting it.  Isn't that strange?  I'm not sure if I really believed that would happen in this life.  I often wondered if I wouldn't get it until the next life - that my heaven would be a big beautiful farm.  I still hope it is.

And I'm embarrassed to admit that when we first started the process of buying this home that instead of being ecstatic - I was terrified.  I've never lived rurally before.  Maybe I was wrong - maybe I didn't really want this.  And my stress lasted for weeks.  I think the Lord must have been slightly bothered with me since he was giving me EXACTLY the thing I dreamed of.  Honestly, Mike and I often ask each other what our dream day would look like - not a vacation or a Saturday - a perfect day of the week.  Where do we live, what does it look like, what do we do with our time?  And I am not kidding you when I say that everything - down to what it looks like out our window is what I imagined.  Saying that makes me get teary-eyed.  I really feel like all of those years the Lord was taking notes and in his due time, delivered it.  Wow.  Keep hoping and praying for your dreams.  And trust the Lord. 

Honestly, it really wasn't until about ten days ago that I finally came out of that craziness and realized, "Are you kidding me?  We're going to be so HAPPY!"    And we are.  WE ARE GOING TO LOVE IT!  I am so so grateful.  I really am.  And the best part of it all is that I get to do it with Mike.  He is my everything.  For real.  And we are going to rock this farm life thing.

In the end, I just want to say - go for your dreams.  Really ask yourself how you want to spend this life - what do you REALLY want to do.  And then don't spend another minute on paths that won't take you there.  Pray, work, hope, and trust that you'll get what you want.  I really think the Lord gives us our desires - our personalities - to help us achieve the unique mission he has for every one of us.  So, even if everyone around you thinks you're crazy - go for it.  And don't worry about all of the finger-waggers and nay-sayers.  You don't want to be like them anyway.  Take counsel from the Lord.  Ponder, pray, and discover what you were made to be.  And then go for it.

10 comments:

Emily said...

good luck! I can see you rockin' that way of life!

Kevin Pratt said...

Amen, sister! I agree and I love you. Man, I am stoked about this new adventure:)

Cheryl said...

This post just changed my life. I'm not kidding.
Thank you!

Adhis said...

"the Lord gives us our desires - our personalities - to help us achieve the unique mission he has for every one of us."

This is absolutely true. It is one of the things I know for sure.

Emily said...

oh my, thank you so so much for everything you wrote. i've been thinking so much about what i want to do when i "grow up" and this helps me to know that dreams are possible! and that i CAN do what i want!
p.s. i really like the photo.
p.p.s. farm life sounds like a dream! have so much fun!

Mommymita said...

This is fantastic! We moved a year ago "in search" of our dream farm. We are still renting, searching and waiting so this post is especially inspiring for me.

I can't wait to watch and read about the process here on your blog. Go ahead and pave the way for me please because we have no idea what it really means to make the final jump into country living.

John said...

I always feel nervous whenever I am making some sort of permenant decision, like when my first baby was born. I was terrified of her. Buying homes is really frightening even when you know it is exactly what you have been dreaming of. I would say nerves and doubts are normal and you will still love your dream come true. It seems anything you have to work hard for endears you to that.

Katie said...

I loved this post!

Alison Wonderland said...

I totally get what you're saying about dreaming about something and then being terrified of it. I'm going to try to be as fearless as you are.

Globe Trecker said...

I don't know you but came across your blog from a friend's blog. Anyway ...

I have to say that I completely "get" what you are saying. A few years ago my husband and I had that "aha" moment when we thought of where our ideal heavenly place to live would be, and where we wanted to spend our life. And that place? It was the North Island of New Zealand. We worked, studied, prayed and then moved forward. It has been a life changing experience, and one that we would not ever, ever trade. We are so very happy! Of course there were naysayers who said we were crazy. Others said that they wish we could have the guts to do what you are doing--selling everything and moving to the South Pacific. However, this was our dream--our vision of how we wanted to spend our years here on this earth. And it has been, without question, the best decision we have made as to where we REALLY wanted to spend our time. We have never been so happy, so free and so completely alive.

So I completely get what you are saying and why your family is doing and admire you for following your dreams. Wherever they lead you.

click here to read why!

I'm a Mormon.

You might also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails