A few months after I moved back to Utah a reoccurring dream started. I find myself in a huge thrift store and as I walk through it I discover endless amounts of beautiful items for only a few dollars a piece. Each dream the things I find are a little different but usually it includes old cameras and beautiful chairs. It's my favorite dream now - which is telling of my vanity.
Anyhow, I thought I'd give you my first update on how only buying used is going. Saturday after I sold all of the stuff I've been hanging onto but not loving I decided to check KSL's classifieds out to see if there was anything new to spend my cash on. And I found a mid-century king sized headboard for only $25 - which I promptly snatched up. I love it but found that our modern mattresses are a lot thicker than our middle of the century forebear's so I'm going to need to rig something up so it fits better. I'll post better pics once it looks beautiful.
And over the weekend I realized the pressure cooker from Costco that I've been waiting to buy would now be out of reach. I was bummed because I've been really looking forward to getting that. Uncharacteristically for me, I checked ebay and found the SAME pressure cooker - refurbished by the manufacturer - and ten dollars cheaper. So, I ordered it. And how pleased I was with myself.
But then a true test of my new goal was presented and I failed it. For the past year and a half I haven't had a cell phone. I've been holding out on getting a plan so I could get an iphone cheaper. Well, about a month ago my babies broke both of our portable house phones so we were down to our one non-portable corded phone. And it's been a real inconvenience. I like to talk on the phone a little more that I'm proud of but talking on the phone with young-ins' requires the ability to change diapers, sit outside, and generally check on them. Which meant that I was frustrated for the past month. And that brings us to yesterday. Yesterday I was having one of those amazing conversations with a new found soul mate when someone jumped on me - hitting the phone strangely and killing it. It was gone. I have no idea what happened but in an instant my ability to communicate with my friends, my clients, anyone without a skype account, was over. So I went to the AT&T store - remembering on the way that I was only supposed to buy used. And when I got there and asked about refurbished and they said I'd have to order one and it'd be a while, I caved and bought a new phone. I know, I know - it was a bad idea. But at least I'm being honest. Looking back, I should have gone to a thrift store, bought a cheap house phone, and then ordered a refurbished iphone. But the immediate need and the strong covetous desire for an iphone got the best of me. But I hope that it taught me a lesson.
Anyhow, I'm still stoked about the year ahead. And I'm still waiting for my friends and family to bring me their old paint.
And I love my lazily purchased new phone.


5 comments:
Don't worry, I still love you.
why do you do these things to yourself? First you swore off chocolate, now this.
Good luck.
I like that Mike was the first one to post and it was of his love for you. Clearly, he is an enabler.
You can do this! You will be tempted again and again. Expect it.
Looking forward to future updates!
Tony Little says, "YOU CAN DO IT!"
I love the idea of what you are doing! With your job and everything, plus being a mom who occasionally needs to run out without the kids, I am amazed that you lasted as long as you did without a cell phone. Seriously amazed!
I like getting things used and refurbished too, but sometimes (like when you are staring a big move in the face) convenience is good too.
I would have totally caved. I tried to not buy things from China for one whole year. I think I made it from January to March.
Post a Comment