5.03.2010

The hens have left the building...


Well, even though it has snowed twice in the last three days, it is spring.  And since our pullets are all about 5 weeks old - it was time for them to move on outside.   And thank heavens it was time because by day two I was sick of them being inside.    Don't judge me too harshly for the yard...it was snowing!  ...  Ok, it's time to mow and weed.


Their coop looks ginormous right now but these ladies are going to grow grow grow over the next few months until this place is quite cozy.  At that point this coop will be used mostly for sleeping and laying eggs - and they'll have a run to roam around in.  They're just so young and vulnerable right now that I think I'll just keep them inside for a couple months.

Already I can't help but just stare at them.  Gosh, I need a farm.  Peter feels the same way too.


In garden happenings, I 've got some good news and bad news.

The good news is that my oregano and sage are coming back on their own and are growing really well.  In fact, I think tonight we'll have some homemade pasta with sage and oregano, butter, and parmesan.  So tasty.


The bad news is that I was so frustrated that my 12 month old kept digging in my starters that I put them out too quickly and most of them haven't made it.  Hmpf.  Oh well, we'll see if I can't being a few of them back and buy the rest at the nursery.



I still have to get the rest of my starters out there but I've got way too much going on right now.  Welcome to the rest of my life, eh?

And, in other news, today we home-schoolers took a book run to the thrift store.  I love buying books.  New and old.  In fact, old books excite me even more than new ones.  And it doesn't hurt that they cost between fifty cents to a couple of bucks.


So, all in all, it was a good day.

4 comments:

Sheree said...

Oh, I bet Elijah can't wait to get his hands on that Anne of Green Gables. LOL. We love picking up books at the thrift stores too. Last year we hit a great garage sale and got all the Harry Potters, chronicles of Narnia, and more. I figured I saved a bundle in overdue library fines! Although we are doing better lately about getting them returned in time.

megan said...

Sheree - I know, I know. They had the whole Anne of Green Gables set but I knew I'd be pushing it if I got all of them. I figured I could force them to read the first one because it's a classic, right? Since I've got no daughters I often force my boys into listening to Laura Ingalls Wilder books and the like. It's got to make them sweeter or something right? And I'm so jealous about the Harry Potter thing. I REALLY want that so if you EVER see one again grab it up for me.

Anna Beal said...

Wow Girly...great find on used books!...and yes, you need a farm :)

Pearl said...

It's such a sense of achievement when you find a classic while thrifting. Also it's the best when you have your mind on a certain book, and then stumble upon it there.

click here to read why!

I'm a Mormon.

You might also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails