- No More Eating Out
- Half Our Food Bill
- Lowering the Utilities
- Haircuts At Home
- Second Hand It
- Babysitters On Trade Only
- Giving More Back
- PRAY!
Ok, so we eat out. Not a ton but way more than either Mike and I did growing up. It happens on crazy nights when dinner just didn't come together. And since we don't like eating fast food we then choose healthier and MORE EXPENSIVE options. And those days have come to an end. In their place will be simple dinners like oatmeal, waffles, sandwiches, etc.
Half Our Food Bill
Now some of you may think this is INSANE but my food bills were pretty cushy. I hear about those moms that can get their grocery bills to somewhere around $200 a month and I am just not even close to that. I'm more like 4 or 5 times that. Now, when you hear that number you may think our home is full of an amazing amount of goodies and treats but it isn't. I just have always been a food snob, having a hard time buying much prepared stuff and cheap cheeses, meats, and breads. But experience in the kitchen and some really great gifts have made it possible for me to continue to expect a lot of goodness out of my food without paying the high price. Meaning, I am making a huge amount from scratch. My mom gave me a wheat grinder about a month ago and so we have finally been able to make the whole wheat bread we like without ANY additives and fluff but for about a quarter(or more) of the price. And Mike gave me that great pasta maker which makes for VERY inexpensive meals that are REAL food and healthy to boot. And we also are making homemade pizza once a week. And our pizzas are killer good - each one costing us less than two dollars to make.
Lowering the Utilities
This one is pretty self explanatory. It basically means wearing a sweater around the house and trying hard not to turn the fire place on in the evenings. As well as being aware of turning off lights and fans when we're not in the room.
Haircuts At Home
Oh goodness, heaven help us! I am so not good at this one yet but I think the only way to learn is practice. Or if anyone out there knows of any good books or friends willing to teach me on trade???
Second Hand It
As many of you know I love to buy second hand furniture and books but I have not ever been good at buying used clothing. I just get so overwhelmed by the racks of ugly clothes to find the desire to rummage through them to find things. But I am going to have to get over it. My boys just grow TOO fast.
Babysitters On Trade Only
Ok, Mike and I LOVE to go out together and though we don't go out weekly we try to make it out at least a couple times a month. And when you pay the sitter between $20-$30 plus $20-$30 more for whatever you did - that adds up! So now we're gonna try and trade sitting. And then go on free dates which should get easier as the weather warms up.
Giving More Back
I remember during a finacially tight period of time growing up my Dad said that we would be trying to save money and we'd also be giving more to the Lord. We believe everything we have is a blessing from the Lord and as we give more of it to those in need we will be able to make better use of what we have. Works every time. Thanks Dad for always being such a good example of this!
PRAY!
Last but not least - actually as a base for everything that we're doing we are praying. We're praying that we'll be able to see ways in which we can save money. We're praying that Mike's efforts at work will go well, as well as mine. I'm praying that I'll be able to make healthy, yummy food and know how to make it cheap. And we're praying that we'll find the house that is supposed to be our home. I know that our Heavenly Father WANTS us to come to him about everything we need, desire, are concerned about, are happy about, etc.
Here are some of my favorite verses from The Book of Mormon in Alma 34:
17 Therefore may God grant unto you, my brethren, that ye may begin to exercise your faith unto repentance, that ye begin to call upon his holy name, that he would have mercy upon you;So in the end, it is good. It is hard but it is also something we've needed to do for years. And I'd love to hear how you pinch your pennies.
18 Yea, cry unto him for mercy; for he is mighty to save.
19 Yea, humble yourselves, and continue in prayer unto him.
20 Cry unto him when ye are in your fields, yea, over all your flocks.
21 Cry unto him in your houses, yea, over all your household, both morning, mid-day, and evening.
22 Yea, cry unto him against the power of your enemies.
23 Yea, cry unto him against the devil, who is an enemy to all righteousness.
24 Cry unto him over the crops of your fields, that ye may prosper in them.
25 Cry over the flocks of your fields, that they may increase.
26 But this is not all; ye must pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness.
27 Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your welfare, and also for the welfare of those who are around you.
28 And now behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, do not suppose that this is all; for after ye have done all these things, if ye turn away the needy, and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart of your substance, if ye have, to those who stand in need—I say unto you, if ye do not any of these things, behold, your prayer is vain, and availeth you nothing, and ye are as hypocrites who do deny the faith.


10 comments:
I was going to ask what your food budget is. I'm trying to do $100 per week for everything -- food, diapers, laundry, household products, etc. I think it might be a ridiculous goal, at least if I expect us to eat whole foods at all.
Haircuts -- buzz it 2-3 times per year. But that's why my kids' hair is not so cute and your kids' hair IS cute. So take that one with a grain of salt.
Second hand clothes - My kids are lucky to be the first grandchildren on both sides, so the grandparents have always bought them tons of clothes. For myself, I have been going to Plato's closet and the DI. I got some very cute jeans (not Mom jeans) from Plato's closet for $8-12 and a pair of black dress slacks with RED pinstripes for $7. I have found Ann Taylor (not LOFT) dress slacks at the DI for $8. I loved them so much that I decided to go online and buy some more. I was SHOCKED to see that they are $120+ per pair.
Once you get your thrift store groove down, you need to take me shopping at the DI and make me hot! Seriously, I need major help in this area. I've realized it's something I need to have friends help me with, probably for the rest of my life :-D
Katie - I'm trying to keep my grocery bill - including diapers/etc. at $500/month.
And thanks for the tip - I hadn't thought of Plato's closet!
I love this post. I "feel" all of those things and I'm NOT good at it! I do the hair cuts. I learned on Alex and now I'm dang good! But the eating out....my oh my. I HATE cooking! That is my downfall. Hopefully as my kids all get a bit bigger, I'll have more patience for it.
Megan,
I totally know you can do it!! You might want to focus on one thing at a time, or at least, don't feel discouraged if you are not instantly awesome at all of these things.
If you are up to it, you can come power yard-sale-ing with me this summer. I buy all my kids clothes at yard sales (except underwear and socks) and I usually pay about $.50 per item. I don't think my kids are the most fashionable ever, but I don't think they look scrounge-y all the time either. (Besides, they are so wretched hard on clothes...if I bought them brand new stuff it would look the same after only a few wearings!)
Also, you are totally right about the giving thing. I have only read excerpts, but I really enjoyed "Who Really Cares?" by Arthur Brooks which is on the topic of charity in America.
I have an old friend from one of our past wards who was always SO stylishly dressed. Whenever I would ask her where she got something she ALWAYS said "D.I." or some other thrift store. She had a system DOWN. Anyway, I had her come over one day and help me out with my wardrobe. It was, um, humbling. She took half my wardrobe, piece by piece, held it up to me and was like, "this is NEVER GOING TO BE IN STYLE AGAIN." I was holding onto a lot of clothes that had sentimental meaning or that I looked adorable in...eight years ago.
She taught me a lot about what it means to be timeless. About cut and color and fit. I still don't think I really absorbed everything but I look at clothing totally different now. (This is no implication for you, I'm sure you are totally stylish..just giving you background here for my experience.)
Anyway, I took her with me to Savers. She showed me how she scanned for color. Colors that looked banana republicish, or anthro, or whatever. You can weed out a lot of searching through racks if you just take a minute to looks for "now" colors. It was the easiest way to spot quality, newer garments. And sure enough she came away with two cute shirts and a pair of new J crew jeans (and some seriously cute clothes for her little boy). I'm still in awe, she seriously had a GIFT.
Anyway, I'm telling you this because she didn't look at second hand as something she HAD to do. The quality clothing IS THERE, it just takes practice and patience, and a good eye to find it. And she thrived on the hunt. (well, probably exactly like the way you look for furniture...it's just a little harder to spot...but that makes it better right? Less people can see it...am I making any sense yet? lol...)
Anyway good luck, we've had lots of practice pinching pennies, it's fun. sorta.
ok. Do I win some award for longest comment EVER?
One of the best blog posts I've read in a long time! My husband and I had a good conversation after I read this. These are all things that are do-able! Thanks for posting this!
Megan,
Even though we've lived in a home of our own for the past 5 years, we still try to scrimp and save as much as possible in order to save 6 months to a year's worth of living expenses and to build up a food storage like the prophet has asked us to do. All of my children's clothing (for the most part) is bought used or has been given to us from my sisters whose kids once wore them. I love shopping at D.I. (for myself and my family). I have found quite a few nice items from there to wear.
As far as our grocery budget goes, I've set a strict budget of only $500 a month for food, diapers, cleaning supplies, etc. We only eat out once or twice a month, and when we do it is usually Costco pizza. I only incorporate meat into our meals 3 times a week (which is more for health reasons). I try to make things from scratch and avoid shopping at expensive grocery stores. I do like shopping at Costco, but I have to limit what I buy there because I can easily use up my entire month's budget on one outing.
My advice to you when buying a home is to be "open-minded." Our first home was in West Valley, Utah-- the so called ghetto of SLC. We moved into a 5 year-old home that was really beautiful. Our ward was amazing (the best ward we've actually been in). Our property taxes were much lower than those of Sandy, Draper, and some of the other east side suburbs. We knew we wouldn't be there permanently, and so when we sold our home 2 years ago, we earned $45,000 in equity of off this home that was supposedly located in the worst part of town. :)
When we moved up here, we went from living in a 1700 square foot home to a 2500 square foot home. I must admit, there are rooms and walls that are barren or need new furnishings. But right now, we are putting money away instead of spending it. We have our entire lives to furnish our home.
Good luck! Having a home of your own is the best (especially once tax season rolls around)!
GREAT post, and great ideas. we just got our gas/electric bill and i about threw up. we'll be busting out the hoodies/sweaters more now, instead of turning up the heat. and maybe reading by candlelight. seriously.
i also need to trim down the grocery bill. . . that is a hard one for me. bah.
anyway - really good ideas even after you are in a house. keep us posted at how it's going!
You never cease to amaze me. Great post. Something we all should say to ourselves routinely. We are still working on many of these same concepts as we incorporate "temperance" into our lives. You are great.
Karen
Yeah- you know I know what you spend on groceries after Jackie asked on her FB wall!
Best wishes on this!
Post a Comment