Last Sunday was the maiden voyage and after making some trial pasta to send through and clean the machine with we made some of the best food EVER. I used Marisa's recipe which is so so simple that it's hard to believe it is going to taste good but have faith, my friends - it is the best. Man, how many times can I use the word "best" in this post? Anyhow, this is some good eating, people! And it takes so few ingredients and just a little bit of time. Now, my mother-in-law thought I was a little crazy to want to make my own pasta but my favorite part of cooking is the process. I don't get much enjoyment out of opening a bunch of cans and dumping them all into a pot - not that I don't do it every once in a while because I do. But I find real joy and satisfaction in kneading dough, chopping vegetables, simmering sauces, and now, making pasta.
Here are some pictures of the whole thing....
First off the simple simple dough. At Marisa's urging I start by mixing it together with a fork until it had come together and then using my hands.
Then you knead for ten minutes until you've got this...
Next you MUST let it rest for at least 20 minutes. If you don't it won't be the right consistency and won't roll out like you need it to. After that you can get started. You want to start the rolling on the widest opening and slowly work your way down.
And can I tell you how much my kids loved doing this with me? It was like a little workshop of pasta making elves - it was great.
And check out those linguine noodles! Aren't they beautiful?
After we finished each piece of dough we hung it on the drying rack Mike also gave me. It's not necessary to dry it. You could throw it right in the pot but I was making several batches so we hung it on there until it was all done. You could also store it in the fridge or freezer but it's best fresh. Then you throw it in some boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes and voila - you've got an amazing meal made from scratch that will impress even the snobbiest of foodies.







5 comments:
We have this machine too. We love it! It is a real workout but the end result is yummy.
oh YUUUUUUUUUUUUM. my mom used to make homemade pasta all the time. it is the best. i'm hungry.
this is awesome- definitley going to look into getting this sometime this year! love your new blog! i don't know what i would do if you stopped blogging! i glean all kinds of gems and ideas and happy relaxation from visiting you here....patria
I love homemade noodles! Your pictures make everything look so appetizing. Maybe I will need to make those one day soon. Oh, and I am totally jealous of your pasta machine. My kids would love it too.
so cool. We always ate fresh pasta in Italy and my favorite was the lasagna noodles. I never make lasagna because it isn't as good w/o the fresh noodles.
Post a Comment