12.31.2009

Teach 'em to read and invite their friends along...

In the past, the most intimidating part of homeschooling was teaching my kids to read.  I just didn't know where to start or how to do it.  With my oldest I didn't start schooling at home until his second grade year so he was already a pretty good reader.  But things have changed and I am totally confident we can do it since we got this book:



  My second son is turning 5 in a few weeks and we started with this book a little while back.  I am always amazed when I see my children learn things but especially with this book.  And for extra practice we have printed out the letters and hung them up on the fridge.



I'll add more letters as the book introduces them.  You should really check it out.

Also here are A's birthday invites:



Simple but cute.  I designed them on photoshop and got them printed at a local print shop and the price was about the same as a pack of cheap cards so I was happy.  A couple years ago I sent out this card for my oldest, E's birthday.  I love this one - especially the crossword:





I really try not to get too stressed about birthdays and I keep everything simple except these invites.  They were easy to make and they made me happy.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Did I mention that your Christmas letter was the best by far!! You truly are amazing, with everything that you do!!

Patria said...

Megan- I am amazed- look at these pictures, look at these invites, i'm amazed at your energy and artistry. thank you for sharing the book on teaching kids to read- we have to get that because the pressure is on us to teach the kids to read in english. they say you want to wait until they can read in one language until you introduce the next, but it makes me nervous! reading has always been such a huge part of my life that i can't fathom children who don't love reading!

so obviously we would love it if you guys could come to hawaii. the invitation is always there though. i'm sure the day will come! it's very generous of you to offer the hotel stay- are you kidding? we would love it! please let me know if you paid anything for it so we can cover that!
happy new year!
patria

Katie said...

Megan,

You are so amazing! Seriously... I am so impressed with your talent... you're a super mom! ... super artist... It's fun catching up with you through your blog. ... I have to agree, this book..."teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" is awesome. I am going through it with my son Brent and I'm amazed on how he's learning. I wish I'd known about it with my daughter Taylor.
Keep up your amazing stuff... !
katie

Kevin Pratt said...

I love the invites. Cutest ever! That's why I need to come to your photo workshop!!! Do I have to have a Mac to make them so cute?

click here to read why!

I'm a Mormon.

You might also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails